For some time now I’ve been in need of a workroom, space where I can work on designs, illustrations, and write without distractions. We have a finished (more or less) basement that hasn’t been getting any use lately since it’s kind of dirty and not very pleasant to be in. Today I made the decision to turn the room into my office space.
Now, I’m not very good at handy work. In fact, I kind of suck. However, I’ve decided to take on this project all on my own, mostly. However, since I also don’t own any equipment to do this kind of work, my first move was to ask my father for what I’d need to fix up the walls.
And this is what he came up with. Yeah. That’s a lot more than I was expecting, and probably more than I will ever use during this project. However, I guess it’s better to be prepared, though while I was making the ten trips back and forth from my truck I didn’t really think so.
My goal is to have the entire room completed by Monday. So far I am about on par with my goal since I wanted to get the walls washed and any holes patched, and I managed to do both. It took me about 3.5 hours of solid work.
Cleaning took about two of those hours. I don’t think those walls have ever been washed before, and since part of the space was once used as a kitchen, so you can imagine the scum I was cleaning off. I also had a lot of meetings with spiders who were not so pleased with my cleaning routine.
So, at the end of day one, the place looks pretty messy, but for the first time since we moved in, I’m starting to get a feel for the space down there. Ideas and layouts are brewing in my brain as I work and I can’t wait to finish my very own workroom.